(1) God is that which selects among men in the eternal hierarchy of men.
So you know, men arrange themselves into hierarchies and men rise in the hierarchies and there’s principles that are so important that they #determine the probability of their rise and those principles aren’t tyrannical power. They’re something like
- the ability to articulate truth
- the ability to be competent
- the ability to make appropriate moral judgements
And if you can gamely do that a consistent array of given situations, all the men will converge most times to vote you up that hierarchy. And that would rapidly increase your reproductive fitness.
The operation of that process across a long expanses of time looks to me to be codified in something like “God the Father”.
It’s also the same thing that makes men attractive to women because women peel off the male hierarchy in hypergamy – the question is “what should be at the top of the Male hierarchy?”. The answer right now is tyranny as part of the patriarchy but the real answer is like the ability to use truthful speech in the service of … let’s say “well-being”. That’s something bag operates across tremendous expanses of time. And it plays a role in the selection for survival itself which makes it a fundamental reality.
(2) God is how we imaginatively and collectively represent the existence and action of consciousness across time; as the most real aspects of existence manifest themselves across the longest of time frames but are not necessarily apprehensible as objects in the here and now. So what that means in some sense is that you have conceptions of reality built into your biological and metaphysical structure that are a consequence of processes of evolution that occurred over unbelievably vast expanses of time. And it structured your perception of reality in ways that it won’t be structured if you only lived for the amount of time that you’re going to live. And that’s also part of the problem of deriving values from facts; because you’re evanescent and you can’t derive the right values from the facts that portray themselves to you in your life span which is why you have a biological structure that’s like 3.5 billion years old.
(3) God is that which eternally dies and is reborn in the pursuit of higher being and truth. That’s a fundamental element of the “Hero Mythology”.
(4) God is the highest value in the hierarchy of values. That’s another way of looking at it.
(5) God is what calls and what responds in the eternal call to adventure.
(6) God is the voice of conscience.
(7) God is the source of Judgement and mercy (and guilt) because HE is an ideal.
(8) God is the future to which we make sacrifices
(9) God is the something akin to the transcendental repository of reputation.
– Jordan Peterson in discussion with Sam Harris at Vancouver
God is that in which we have necessary faith
– Jordan Peterson in discussion with Matt Dilihaunty
It not like we don’t have a definition of God. God has been described through out many generations in the bible as human consciousness evolved in revelation of who God is. So in one part of the bible you will hear HIM described as “Elohim”. In another part you see HIM being described as “Adonai”. You see in Genesis where a presumption was made that Abraham has always known God as a “Mighty God” and God reveals to him, “I am the Almighty God”. So with each generation, you see a definition of God that looks like a description of HIS many applicabilities and utilities to man such as “King of kings” and “Lord of lords”. There are many more. But to dismiss these heavy concepts is to not even start to graduate the level of baby thinking regarding the huge nature of the concept of God.